Subject: Re: Standard UID/GID numbers
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/16/2002 18:59:30
On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 04:08:46PM +0000, xs@kittenz.org wrote:
> on Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 10:45:12AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > > Weird...
> > >
> > > Though the problem with numbers come when sharing trees with nfs, for
> > > example...
> >
> > It would be nice if there were a simple way around this.  I hate manually
> > sync'ing IDs and hate to run something like YP.  I'd even be willing,
> > for small LANs, to create a mapping file for each host.
>
> Does umapfs help with this? mount_umap(8)

No.

NetBSD is the server in my case, so it's the other systems that would
need something like mount_umap.

I run Linux right now because of excellent video support and SGI's xfs
filesystem, so I'd need it there and eventually in another UNIX system,
or two or three or... and that's the problem.

But anyway, thanks for the tip for NetBSD anyway, I didn't know
about that option.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com