Subject: Re: Standard UID/GID numbers
To: NetBSD Users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2002 23:57:40
On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 05:28:38PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> > It's a pain having a couple of different Unix systems around and
> > having the stock, system uid's and gid's be different.
>
> I agree. You have to remove the duplicate entries. Search your filesystems
> for the old UID-owned files and chown.

Except I have no idea what uids and gids were compiled into various
programs. And it isn't like I'm going to make sweeping changes to
my SunOS 4 box. Or, my Digital UNIX filesystems are mounted ro, nodev, nosuid
because I 1) don't want to reboot into DU and 2) don't want to risk
hosing my only DU install. Plus one day we might actually get a MacOS X
box around here.

It's a dirty mess and I bet it will never be cleaned up.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper