Subject: Re: Standard UID/GID numbers
To: Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2002 17:28:38
On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> Well, is it there any kind of "regulation" or standard?

The standard is for software to not use numerical UIDs (or GIDs), but to
use getpwnam(3) and similar functions. (In other words, use the real
names to get the IDs.) Of course, you still have problems when moving
files to other systems (see below).

> PD: I usually add my own groups (cdrom, floppy, etc) starting at
> 500, and users starting at 1000...

That's a good idea. (As far as I know, most operating systems don't add
UIDs greater than 500 other than nobody or nfsnobody.)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 kpneal@pobox.com wrote:

> It's a pain having a couple of different Unix systems around and
> having the stock, system uid's and gid's be different.

I agree. You have to remove the duplicate entries. Search your filesystems
for the old UID-owned files and chown.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/