Subject: rsync timeout
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2002 13:39:35
Hi all,

Up until recently, I used rsync to keep a whole bunch of machines in
synch.  As RSYNC_RSH I used to use:

ssh -a -x -i thekey -o 'BatchMode yes' -o 'Cipher blowfish' -o
'Compression yes' -o 'CompressionLevel 1'

This worked well.  But now I would like to rsync over IPsec.  So I got
IPsec to work quite smoothly with racoon.  rsh, rlogin and syslog work
without a hitch over ipsec.

However, when I attempt to rsync using "rsh" as my RSYNC_RSH, the
process seems to work up until I have to transfer some biggish files.
In particular, it works fine for /usr/local, /etc and /, but hangs when
trying to synch /usr/pkg or /var/db/pkg.

I feel like I have tried every single possibility of rsync-switches, yet
the connection times out every time.  I've tried using "-z", "-W" and
everything in between.  I've tried without IPsec and it's the same.

Does anybody have any ideas where to look next?  Are there any sysctl
variables that would influence this behaviour?

All help will be appreciated (including RTFM's with the proper M :)

-Jan

--
finger jschauma@netmeister.org