Subject: Re: changing the MTU and TCP MSS
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2002 00:21:07
> > route add default 1.2.3.4 -mtu 1460
> >
> > See man route for more info.

Yes, and then don't forget to set net.inet.tcp.mss_ifmtu=1,
as otherwise the routes MTU will not be used to calculate
the MSS.

Also note that this affects only connections established from that machine,
not connections from machines routing via it.

> ...presumeably this would not be used on conjuction with the MTU and MRU
> settings on ppp0 interface with kernel ppp conf?

I don't understand this sentence, can you elaborate a bit?

> What about upcoming PPPoE/PPPoA support in the kernel?

What's "upcoming" about PPPoE support?

[~] root@nightfall > uname -a
NetBSD nightfall.duskware.de 1.5ZA NetBSD 1.5ZA (NIGHTFALL) #0: Tue Feb 12 21:52:38 CET 2002     martin@insomnia.duskware.de:/usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/NIGHTFALL sparc
[~] root@nightfall > ifconfig pppoe0
pppoe0: flags=8851<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
        inet 217.0.157.34 -> 217.5.113.169 netmask 0xff000000

Martin