Subject: Re: network settings erased!
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/11/2002 12:23:14
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 02:43:47PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:53:09PM +0800,  Taro Fukunaga wrote:
> > After struggling with getting my Inspiron 4100 connected to the internet using a Modem Card from Xircom, I've setup IP masquerading on an MkLinux box running on a Power Mac 7100/66 and can successfully connect to the internet from another Mac. Then I   installed NetBSD 1.5.2 and the first thing I did was make sure that I could ping my IP masquerading box before I partitioned the disk and installed the sets.
> > After postinstallation, I found that my network settings have been *erased* since I cannot ping the IP masquarading box. All network settings are lost! I've tried reinstalling 3 times and all 3 times I found that the installer erases my settings. This is a bug!
>
> The installer won't save your network settings if you don't ask it to
> do so. Though, setting up the network is not that hard!
>
> Just edit /etc/rc.conf and add the configuration lines...
> hostname=your.name
> defaultroute="192.168.1.1"
>
> And then edit /etc/ifconfig.ed0 (beeing ed0 your net card):
> up
> 192.168.1.3 netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect
>
> BTW... RTFM (specially netbsd users guide and manpagages).
>
> HTH
>
> PS: Remember this... you will have to configure everything by _hand_
> in NetBSD ;) (this is cool)

Unless you use Sushi, which was announced a year ago...

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2001/01/05/0000.html

Sushi is not in 1.5.x, only in -current so it will show up when the next
major release comes out.

Not that knowing how to configure things by hand is bad - but it is
optional :-)

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods