Subject: Re: network settings erased!
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/11/2002 14:43:47
--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:53:09PM +0800,  Taro Fukunaga wrote:
> After struggling with getting my Inspiron 4100 connected to the internet =
using a Modem Card from Xircom, I've setup IP masquerading on an MkLinux bo=
x running on a Power Mac 7100/66 and can successfully connect to the intern=
et from another Mac. Then I   installed NetBSD 1.5.2 and the first thing I =
did was make sure that I could ping my IP masquerading box before I partiti=
oned the disk and installed the sets.=20
> After postinstallation, I found that my network settings have been *erase=
d* since I cannot ping the IP masquarading box. All network settings are lo=
st! I've tried reinstalling 3 times and all 3 times I found that the instal=
ler erases my settings. This is a bug!

The installer won't save your network settings if you don't ask it to
do so. Though, setting up the network is not that hard!

Just edit /etc/rc.conf and add the configuration lines...
hostname=3Dyour.name
defaultroute=3D"192.168.1.1"

And then edit /etc/ifconfig.ed0 (beeing ed0 your net card):
up
192.168.1.3 netmask 0xffffff00 media autoselect

BTW... RTFM (specially netbsd users guide and manpagages).

HTH

PS: Remember this... you will have to configure everything by _hand_
in NetBSD ;) (this is cool)

>=20
> --=20
>=20