Subject: German "Umlauts" in vi
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Gerbing <m.gerbing@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2002 14:40:15
Hello,

I have a little problem with the german "Umlauts" in vi.

I set the encoding to de (wsconsctl -k -w encoding=de) and the console shows me all "umlauts" correct (oe, ae, ue, ss).

When I READ Mails with mutt (editor there is vi too) vi shows me the correct character (oe, ae and so on). But if I write mails with vi (like now ;)) it's impossible to get the correct characters.

I set LC_ALL to de_DE, and LC_CTYPE to de_DE and so on. I tried it in the csh, bash and in the sh. But the problem is on all shells :(.

I am working with NetBSD 1.5.2 with the GENERIC Kernel.
BTW: In X there is the same problem; on the xterm I have the correct characters. But if I start vi, the "Umlauts (ae,oe,ue,ss)" will not be displayed.

Can anybody help me???

Thanks a lot.

Martin