Subject: Re: /usr unmounts incorrectly
To: None <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2002 17:52:24
On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Paul Dokas wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:41:49PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> >
> > I'm running NetBSD-current and everytime I reboot my machine, I get
> > that /usr was not unmounted properly. It only happens with /usr, all
> > other partitions are ok... this is annoying because the fsck is slow,
> > though it seems I do not lose any data. (I get several "inode
> > reconnected" messages)
>
> Do you have softdep enabled?  There's apparently a bug somewhere in the
> softdep code that leaves unlinked inodes in a limbo state such that they
> get reconnected at fsck time and the file system does not get marked as
> clean at shutdown.

That's not a bug, that's a feature. If you kill power before a
directory has been written out to disk, what else can happen, except
that you get the files you thought you'd just unlinked back?

I speculate the bug is, that "shutdown" isn't daemonizing itself quite
enough. If I try to shutdown as an ordinary user on my headless mac,
it never goes well, because the nfs mounted home directory is open. I
do this: "cd /; exec su -l; cd /; shutdown..." and it's always fine.

Frederick