Subject: Re: X crashes - XMMS
To: NetBSD Users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2002 21:51:22
--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 03:41:21PM -0500, Shannon wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 06:24:47PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
>=20
> Which window manager are you running?
>=20
> I know it sounds wierd, but in one NetBSD and Linux setup, I was
> compltely unable to make xmms work under Windowmaker. It crashed
> the X server, performed poorly, or caused other apps to misbehave
> constantly... sometimes a combination of all three.

Uh... right... I'm on Windowmaker and won't switch it. But I'll try
some things about colormaps. BTW, it worked fine in Linux with wmaker.
IIRC it worked fine in blackbox in NetBSD.

>=20
> I have been told it has to do with conflicts between how WM works with
> colormaps and other X functions and how xmms uses them.
>=20
> > If I use mpg123 or gqmpeg, everything is ok... What can be
> > happening?
>=20
> In your xmms configuration what is your playback option?  Are you
> using the mpg123 driver for output?  Try toggling the realtime
> option on/off to see if that has any effect.

I'm using OSS output. I've also tried with esound daemon with worse
results.

> I sometimes temporarily solved trouble by turning off the sound
> graph.
>=20
> Otherwise, it's possible xmms is not working well with NetBSD because
> of threading issues mentioned in another post.

Don't think so. As said, i think it worked fine with blackbox.

>=20
> When I was running NetBSD on Intel, I actually had this worked out,
> but it's been too long for me to remember.=20

Thanks

>=20
> --=20
> ______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist
>  "And in billows of might swell the Saxons before her,-- Unite, oh
>  unite!  Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall of the Gael

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>

--opJtzjQTFsWo+cga