Subject: Re: X crashes - XMMS
To: NetBSD Users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2002 15:41:21
On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 06:24:47PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As I said in a reply to some message, X was also crashing for me.
> The problem seems to be with XMMS. First thing, when it's running
> X behaves REALLY BAD; everything is slow and unresponsiveness...
> And it made my X crash when I put it to play a radio station
> (second time I tried it went fine).

Which window manager are you running?

I know it sounds wierd, but in one NetBSD and Linux setup, I was
compltely unable to make xmms work under Windowmaker. It crashed
the X server, performed poorly, or caused other apps to misbehave
constantly... sometimes a combination of all three.

I have been told it has to do with conflicts between how WM works with
colormaps and other X functions and how xmms uses them.

> If I use mpg123 or gqmpeg, everything is ok... What can be
> happening?

In your xmms configuration what is your playback option?  Are you
using the mpg123 driver for output?  Try toggling the realtime
option on/off to see if that has any effect.

I sometimes temporarily solved trouble by turning off the sound
graph.

Otherwise, it's possible xmms is not working well with NetBSD because
of threading issues mentioned in another post.

When I was running NetBSD on Intel, I actually had this worked out,
but it's been too long for me to remember.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist