Subject: Re: adding a 2nd slice howto
To: Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2002 17:46:03
On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 04:06:51PM +0100, Axel Scheepers wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was wondering, I have about 9GB free on the same disk I installed NetBSD.
> NetBSD's slice is 4096MB, is it possible (and how?) to add the extra 9GB as an
> extra slice to mount e.g. /usr?
> Creating it isnt' the problem, but how do I acces that slice? Coming from
> FreeBSD I mis the ad0sX scheme of partitioning, is this possible under NetBSD
> also? I read something about adding a slice to another by changing the sector
> value, so that the slice will occupy more on the disk, this involves newfs the
> partitions afaik. It would be nice to have a way to do it without reinstalling
> and restoring.

Just add this unused space to the disklabel:
disklabel -e wd0
and add a partition here. You need to know the start and size in
sectors of this unused space. Then you can newfs it and mount it.

But you can't add this to an existing partition without newfs yet.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>