Subject: Re: etc chains...
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2002 13:26:38
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 12:08:02PM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:

> That sounds similarly difficult: if you have pkgsrc rc.d scripts in
> /usr, and you NFS-mount /usr, then you don't get them until /etc/rc.d
> has mounted your filesystems, which means you've missed the
> dependency-ordering boat. You could either put the rc.d scripts on your
> root filesystem, or run a separate pass of /sbin/rcorder over
> /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d later in the boot process.

This sounds fine to me most of the time.

> I don't think anyone really likes the latter, because that way pkgsrc
> rc.d scripts can't fit into the main dependency graph, but some people
> may like it more than the alternatives. Some good ideas on this topic
> have been floated on tech-pkg@.

Well, how many packages installed in /usr/pkg or /usr/local really need
to be in the main dependency graph?

There are some that obviously would, but in most of my more typical
installs, I have no ordering requirements at all in /usr/pkg or
/usr/local that are not also in those base directories.

I don't see a seperate pass as optimal, but in most cases it will be
OK. Maybe we need to actually try it to find the cases where it doesn't
work.

Also, once you do have the system up, you should have all the ordering
information you need.  For example, if serverA is controlled from
/etc/rc.d and serverB is in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, shutting serverA
down at that point should be OK because /usr/local will be avaiable.

It seems that as long as you can get the system started, you are OK
after that.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist