Subject: Re: Going to try NetBSD -CURRENT
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2002 01:07:55
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:48:51PM +0700, John Indra wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 08:24:11AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>=20
> >	Its a little more portable for a start - I use it on a bunch of Linux
> >	boxes I have to admin, which does make them =04fseel surprisingly sane.=
..
>=20
> Hah? /usr/pkgsrc can be brought to Linux and works the same like in NetBS=
D?
> Now... that's neat :P

It also works on Solaris systems. I vaguely remember a cvs message about
Darwin support as well, but I might be misremembering.

> >	NetBSD is still in the process of moving to SMP(not-ng :). Its in
> >	the main tree on alpha and vax, in a branch for i386, and still
>=20
> Ah!?!
> Am I understanding the right thing?
> Does that mean NetBSD cannot work on SMP i386 machine now?
> WOW... that's quite shocking.

Hmm, it certainly _works_ on "SMP i386 machine", it just uses one CPU.
There is a branch for the i386 MP code, it is fairly stable on some=20
dual systems, but not so stable on others.

Keep in mind that NetBSD doesn't have 200 developers focusing on i386
kernels.  There is a significant amount of development going on with NetBSD,
but most of it is machine independent kernel stuff (UBC, SA, LFS, TCP),
toolchain work (e.g. cross builds, gcc3), or ports to embedded systems, or
reference boards.

-Andrew