Subject: Re: Going to try NetBSD -CURRENT
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Indra <maverick@office.naver.co.id>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/07/2002 11:48:09
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:09:51PM -0500, David Maxwell wrote:

>Well, there's no guarantees of stability, of course - though people do

That's why I wrote "quite stable" from the start of thread ;)
I know how "rocky" a -CURRENT might be.

It's just... for my workstation, I always install FreeBSD -CURRENT and
probably will try to replace it with NetBSD -CURRENT.

>tend to upload the snapshots only when the build works reasonably well.
>ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshots/

Hmmm... quite a difference with FreeBSD eh. FreeBSD has daily snapshot build
for both -STABLE and -CURRENT. But probably I like NetBSD approach better.

>has a few i386 snapshots, in subdirs named by date. Substitute i386 for
>your arch, as appropriate.

I wish I could try it on the new iMac, but I don't have the baby just yet :)
Can only stick to i386 for now :(

>Since a 'port' in NetBSD, has been an architecture, since 1993 - the
>packaged software system is called 'pkgsrc'. You will find it similar to
>the FreeBSD ports system, on a basic level. There are lots of
>differences under the hood though.

I see

>Enjoy :-)

I will... ;)

Eh... probably for the time being (till I finish my source download), anyone
care to feed my eager-not-so-patience curiosity?

- I've heard that postfix is in the base system. Is it the main mailer? Or
  and alternative to sendmail? What version is in the -CURRENT anyway? Oh,
  does NetBSD has FreeBSD /etc/mail/mailer.conf or its analogous function?
- Does NetBSD has this FreeBSD -CURRENT goodies? To name a few of them: KSE,
  SMPng, jail, and such? What's the current hottest goodies in NetBSD
  anyway. Where can I read about them?
- Oh yeah. On FreeBSD, after I got the latest source in /usr/src, all I have
  to do is: cd /usr/src; make world; make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL;
  make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL; /usr/sbin/mergemaster and... finished,
  I have a fresh FreeBSD -CURRENT world, kernel, and /etc after I reboot.
  How to do things in NetBSD -CURRENT?

Well, that's just a few that pops up in my head just now...
Thanks a lot ;)

/john
"I go, I fight, and I win!"