Subject: Re: Going to try NetBSD -CURRENT
To: John Indra <maverick@office.naver.co.id>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/06/2002 23:09:51
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:28:28AM +0700, John Indra wrote:
> 1. Where can I find installable binary snapshot of "recent, quiet stable"
> NetBSD -CURRENT? When I want to install FreeBSD -CURRENT, I can go to
> ftp://snapshots.jp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386 and get the whole
> directory containing the binary version of a one day snapshot.

Well, there's no guarantees of stability, of course - though people do
tend to upload the snapshots only when the build works reasonably well.

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshots/

has a few i386 snapshots, in subdirs named by date. Substitute i386 for
your arch, as appropriate.

> 2. In FreeBSD world, there are software ports located in /usr/ports and I
> can just install software just by doing eg. cd /usr/ports/net/djbdns; make
> install clean. What is FreeBSD /usr/ports equivalent in NetBSD?

Since a 'port' in NetBSD, has been an architecture, since 1993 - the
packaged software system is called 'pkgsrc'. You will find it similar to
the FreeBSD ports system, on a basic level. There are lots of
differences under the hood though.

Enjoy :-)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive