Subject: Re: Placement for kernels
To: NetBSD Users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/06/2002 09:28:54
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:53:37PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi all
>
> by default, NetBSD system stores its kernel in /netbsd, and the old one
> is named /onetbsd. I do not like this structure because I would like
> to have several different kernels (stable, testing, etc). I've been
> looking around, but haven't seen the proper way to do this (in FreeBSD
> I just edited a file in /boot).
>
> I would like to have a /kernels directory that contains all of them,
> and I also would like the 'make install' from a kernel directory to
> install it inside /kernels with its own name.
>
> Is this possible without changing Makefiles? If yes, how can I do it?

Not to sound facetious, but can't you just use: "cp netbsd /netbsd.stable"
or whatever?  After all you will need to type "boot netbsd.stable" to get
the boot loader to run your test kernel.
For testing / development you probably don't want the "make install" target
anyway.  Well, at least I have never done it. :)

-Andrew