Subject: Re: anonymous ftp site
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/06/2002 12:02:56
On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 02:57:05PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:15:44AM +0800, Dr. Richard Lin wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am wondering if anybody knows how to get the document for seting up the
> > anonymous ftp service over the NetBSD station. Thanks.
>
> I just installed proftpd from pkgsrc, which IMHO is much better. It is also
> easier to setup, and anonymous configuration comes by default uncommented
> in the configuration file. Just go and edit it, then remove the # from the
> commented lines ;)

Nothing personal against proftpd - I've never used it. A quick scan of
security issues shows that it has had more than it's share (IMO).

It's always nice to use the tools that come with the system if you can -
just to avoid having one more thing to install on every system you
build.

If NetBSD's ftpd is lacking in some way, speak up, and someone may do
the work to improve it :-)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive