Subject: Updating packages from pkgsrc
To: NetBSD Users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/06/2002 16:41:10
--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

Hello,

I installed lots of applications from the pkgsrc tree on a netbsd 1.5za
system. Some days ago, I updated pkgsrc tree with cvs.

Yesterday I went to install another program, gnucash, which failed
because it said that ORBit was too old. Well, I said. I went to orbit's
pkgsrc directory and issued a 'make update'. But, to my surprise it
deinstalled LOTS of packages, all gnome, mozilla, etc. Well, at least
the update went ok, though it has needed around 10 hours! I can't stand
this each time a package upgrades a small version number.

Yeah, the problem is that changes between old orbit and new one are only
some minor version numbers... I can't understand why it has recompiled
everything depending on orbit. Usually, minimal changes do not affect
to other programs when running in a system wth dynamic libraries.

So, my question... can I avoid this? Lets say, upgrading a package that
has changed only its minor number without updating everything else?

I've also noticed that some packages have well-defined dependancies,
with something like: >=3D2.11. Okay, but I do not understand the
buildlink directories. If programs would specify which version of orbit
they depend on, I think I haven't needed to update all those packages.
It seems that with buildlink's, version dependancies are not specified.
Is this right?

Well, bring me some ideas of what I'm doing wrong or how this thing
works... ;)

Thanks a lot!

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org