Subject: Re: newbie questions regarding ppp dialup configuration
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Taro Fukunaga <tarozax404@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 22:12:44
Jeremy,

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Taro Fukunaga wrote:
>
>>the NetBSD website. Still, I don't have a clue. If I try cu -p modem I
>>get a message saying
>>
>>cu: open (/dev/tty01) Device not configured
>>cu: all matching ports in use
>>
>>I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 with a PCMCIA modem. I don't know what
>>device I"m supposed to use. I'm at a complete loss except try all
>>devices in the /dev directory and pray that one of them works. Any
>>

>What does your dmesg output say? For example:
>
> com3 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x407: serial device

I rebuild the kernel using the GENERIC_LAPTOP configuration and added
PCMCIA_VERBOSE. Output of dmesg says (among many things),

com3 at pcmcia0 function 0: serial device

I believe my problem is that there is no port attached? assigned? to
this device.  If I do cu -p earthlink then I get a message saying 'No
matching ports'. I am trying to use my PCMCIA Xircom 56K modem. There is
also a 56K PCTel WinModem that I am not using. At least I know this
modem worked wtih RHLinux and I used /dev/tty03.

Taro

>(And com3 is /dev/tty03.)
>
>(Also, you may want to rebuild and install a kernel with PCMCIA_VERBOSE
>option added.)
>
>>suggestions I would be very grateful, including websites for users with
>>Dell Laptops running NetBSD.
>>

>Have a look at
>http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/laptops-and-netbsd.html
>
>   Jeremy C. Reed