Subject: Re: etc chains...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 13:30:57
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:01:20AM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> "Shannon" <shannon@widomaker.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 07:24:43PM -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> >
> > > I place symlinks to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/foo into /etc/rc.d.  This way
> all
> > > the dependency resolving stuff gets taken care of [*], and generally
> seems
> > > cleaner than editing rc.local.
> >
> > Probably right, but it seems like this is something that should be
> > "official".
>
> What if /usr is a separate filesystem? The dependency ordering happens
> very early, before all filesystems are mounted (the scripts that mount
> filesystems are in /etc/rc.d!). Scripts stored in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d
> could well be on an unmounted filesystem when the dependency ordering is
> determined. So they need to be on the root filesystem, somewhere where
> /sbin/rcorder can be sure to find them, to be run properly at boot time.

Then as someone suggested, move pkg and local etc files to
/etc/<pkg|local>/rc.d to handl that problem.

Or, perhaps have a second-stage rc.d script execution after filesystems
are mounted. I mean, I'm already having to do that manually as it is.

Good point though.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist