Subject: Re: newbie questions regarding ppp dialup configuration
To: Taro Fukunaga <tarozax404@earthlink.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 09:38:06
On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Taro Fukunaga wrote:

> the NetBSD website. Still, I don't have a clue. If I try cu -p modem I
> get a message saying
>
> cu: open (/dev/tty01) Device not configured
> cu: all matching ports in use
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 with a PCMCIA modem. I don't know what
> device I"m supposed to use. I'm at a complete loss except try all
> devices in the /dev directory and pray that one of them works. Any

What does your dmesg output say? For example:

 com3 at pcmcia0 function 0 port 0x400-0x407: serial device

(And com3 is /dev/tty03.)

(Also, you may want to rebuild and install a kernel with PCMCIA_VERBOSE
option added.)

> suggestions I would be very grateful, including websites for users with
> Dell Laptops running NetBSD.

Have a look at
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/laptops-and-netbsd.html

   Jeremy C. Reed