Subject: Re: etc chains...
To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 16:41:51
--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:08:24AM -0500, Shannon wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 07:24:43PM -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> > > Is there an official way to do this?  If not, how do the rest of you
> > > handle it?
> >=20
> > I place symlinks to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/foo into /etc/rc.d.  This way all
> > the dependency resolving stuff gets taken care of [*], and generally se=
ems=20
> > cleaner than editing rc.local.
>=20
> Probably right, but it seems like this is something that should be
> "official". =20

Heh, write a new script file, lets say /etc/rc.d/chain, and send-pr it ;)

>=20
> > I'm tempted to suggest that installed third party packages should place=
=20
> > these links automatically, although I suspect I'm treading on well cove=
red=20
> > territory here.
>=20
> I thought about that, but I was thinking that changing would be handled
> with a configuration option in /etc/rc.conf which would toggle chaining
> on or off.

It could be nice to have two parameters:

chain_rc=3D"YES"
chain_rc_dirs=3D"/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d /usr/local/etc/rc.d"

for example.

>=20
> > [*] If there any netbsd developers out there, I'd just like to say that=
=20
> > the whole 'rcorder' system is possibly the sanest solution to init scri=
pts=20
> > I've ever seen.  Thanks!
>=20
> Yeah, it's a blessing compared to the madness of Red Hat Linux or
> Solaris. =20

Sure, runlevels + sysv init are evil. rcorder is great ;)

>=20
> I like the system in Slackware Linux as well, and I think FreeBSD is
> going to move to a NetBSD-like system as well.

Will FreeBSD move to it? It will be nice :)

Regards

>=20
> --=20
> ______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist
>  "And in billows of might swell the Saxons before her,-- Unite, oh
>  unite!  Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall of the Gael

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
Julio Merino (Slink) <juli@merino.net>

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R