Subject: Re: X 4.2.0 crashes
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 06:15:55
On Mon, Beb 4, 2002 Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > > and then freeze. another was same but without disk I/O.
> > > it's first time i needed to press reset since 4 months.
> > >
> > > anyone know where can be a problem?
> >
> > I've had some random crashes on X 4.2 too. My card ATI Xpert98. The first
> > one was when I selected a truetype font in gimp (I tried others without
> > any problem). Second crash was completly random... I just was moving the
> > mouse and X went down.
>
> i have both random. one at mouse move another typing something in xterm.
> >
> > BTW, the computer does not become unusable. X simple shutdowns and then
> > I have to restart it.
>
> in my case i've got complete freeze :( even no remote pings :(

I'm running SuSE Linux 7.3 on a Pentium II 233 MHz machine with XFree86 4.2,
and it's hung up on me in random ways you both describe. Sounds like something
a bit unstable in X. BTW, I've used ATI Rage128 (several flavours) and ATI
Radeon VE video cards. It's probably more than likely a Video Driver problem.

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com