Subject: Re: newbie questions regarding ppp dialup configuration
To: Taro Fukunaga <tarozax404@earthlink.net>
From: Ian P.Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 08:09:26
On Tuesday, February 5, 2002, at 02:33 AM, Taro Fukunaga wrote:

> I just installed NetBSD 1.5.2, recompiled the kernel and installed the
> sources. I am trying to figure out how to dial out to my isp. First, I
> checked the installation guide but it gave no pointers on how to
> configure ppp. Then I did a search on the net and found a guide writen
> by someone in Italy about setting up NetBSD at
> http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/netbsd.html
> This was great, I don't know why I couldn't find a guide like this on
> the NetBSD website. Still, I don't have a clue. If I try cu -p modem I
> get a message saying
>
> cu: open (/dev/tty01) Device not configured
> cu: all matching ports in use
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 with a PCMCIA modem. I don't know what
> device I"m supposed to use. I'm at a complete loss except try all
> devices in the /dev directory and pray that one of them works. Any
> suggestions I would be very grateful, including websites for users with
> Dell Laptops running NetBSD.
>
> Taro

	Here is what my /etc/ppp/options file looks like.  Your modem will
be different as mine is an external serial modem.  Unfortunately I'm not
sure how PCMCIA devices go.

# Device used to communicate over. (Serial Port 1)
/dev/tty00
# Ensure exclusive access to /dev/tty00.
lock
# Use hardware flow control.
crtscts
# Set the maximum baud rate.
115200
# Use modem control lines.
modem
# Add a default route to the system routing tables, using the peer as
the gateway.
defaultroute
# Peer supplys the IP address during IPCP negotiation.
noipdefault
# Read more options from the file /etc/ppp/peers/ubunix
call ubunix
# Require the peer to authenticate before allowing packets to be sent or
received.
auth

	Here is my /etc/ppp/peers/ubunix file.

# Calls chat(1) to set up the serial line.
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -r /home/ipt/.etc/connect -f
/etc/ppp/peers/ubunix.chat'
# Do not require the peer (ISP's server) to authenticate.
noauth
# The name used for authenticating the local system to the peer.
user myusername
# pppd(8) logs all control packets through syslog with facility daemon
and level debug
debug
# allow further debugging to enabled at the kernel level
#kdebug 2

	Here is /etc/ppp/peers/ubunix.chat.  The *70 disables call waiting.

REPORT CONNECT
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
'' ATZ OK ATDT*70,,5155603 CONNECT

	Make sure you have an /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file with the form...

username		* 		password

	Also make sure you add the DNS IP's to /etc/resolv.conf, where
ip_address is a real IP.

nameserver		ip_address
nameserver		ip_address

	To connect pppd call ubunix, or whatever you call your peer file.

Ian P. Thomas

Of course it runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org