Subject: Re: etc chains...
To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 00:08:24
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 07:24:43PM -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> > Is there an official way to do this?  If not, how do the rest of you
> > handle it?
>
> I place symlinks to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/foo into /etc/rc.d.  This way all
> the dependency resolving stuff gets taken care of [*], and generally seems
> cleaner than editing rc.local.

Probably right, but it seems like this is something that should be
"official".

> I'm tempted to suggest that installed third party packages should place
> these links automatically, although I suspect I'm treading on well covered
> territory here.

I thought about that, but I was thinking that changing would be handled
with a configuration option in /etc/rc.conf which would toggle chaining
on or off.

> [*] If there any netbsd developers out there, I'd just like to say that
> the whole 'rcorder' system is possibly the sanest solution to init scripts
> I've ever seen.  Thanks!

Yeah, it's a blessing compared to the madness of Red Hat Linux or
Solaris.

I like the system in Slackware Linux as well, and I think FreeBSD is
going to move to a NetBSD-like system as well.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist