Subject: Re: Question for kernel hackers: Introduction to GNU AS? (books on binutils, etc.)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/2002 12:17:52
On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 09:50:57AM -0500, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> 	Can anyone make any suggestions for getting acquainted with the
> GNU Binutils GAS?  I recently checked out a book on 80x86 assembly
> from the engineering library here at Pitt[.edu], but of course, all
> the examples use some useless Microsoft 'macro assembler', and of
> course, the cd-rom is missing from the back.  Besides, I'd prefer not
> to have to re-lean everything the GNU AS way at a later date, but I
> have a feeling the chances of me finding an "Introduction to Assembly"
> text that uses GNU AS are slim and none >:}

newer versions of binutils (maybe even 2.95.3) will support intel-style
(as opposed to AT&T stule) syntax.  but that still won't help with
masm-specific constructs.  :P

in true shamanistic self-flagellation unix fashion, one way to go about
it is to write simple C programs and compile them to assembly with -S to
see what they do.  that and read the gas manual / infopages to learn all
the constructs.

being AT&T one would think there would be a plethora of written
information on their syntax and x86 assembler(s) which would still be
applicable to gas.

> I did, however, find one book B&N on Binutils with absolutely no
>
> "The GNU Binary Utilities: Version 2.9.1. May 1993 Roland H. Pesch Osier
> Jeffrey"

this I'll bet is a commercial publication of the infopages.  you can
make the same thing with a little texinfo munging.

      "[...] I generally haven't found IDM guys to be very good
       live acts, most of them just sit down at their laptop and
       tweak reaktor."  -- Brandon Daniel