Subject: Question for kernel hackers: Introduction to GNU AS? (books on
To: None <>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/2002 09:50:57
	Can anyone make any suggestions for getting acquainted with the
GNU Binutils GAS?  I recently checked out a book on 80x86 assembly from
the engineering library here at Pitt[.edu], but of course, all the
examples use some useless Microsoft 'macro assembler', and of course, the
cd-rom is missing from the back.  Besides, I'd prefer not to have to
re-lean everything the GNU AS way at a later date, but I have a feeling
the chances of me finding an "Introduction to Assembly" text that uses GNU
AS are slim and none >:}

I did, however, find one book B&N on Binutils with absolutely no

"The GNU Binary Utilities: Version 2.9.1. May 1993 Roland H. Pesch Osier

"Format: Paperback, 84pp.
ISBN: 0595100317
Publisher: iUniverse, Incorporated
Pub. Date: August  2000"

The publisher, iUniverse, doesn't have anything on that work either.
That leads me to believe I'm in uncharted territory here.  I may be
up-creek without a paddle...I don't want to buy the book if it's just a
transcription of the man pages...because if that's the case, it's time to,
as I'm so fond of saying, RTFM (or texinfo in this case).