Subject: Re: Amount of memory a user can use?
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/28/2002 22:33:21
On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 04:08:03PM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> At 3:49 PM -0800 1/27/02, David S. wrote:
> >  > Hi again. I'm having a brain fart. Isn't there a way to set how much
> >>  memory a user can use before their processes start getting starved?
> >>  Nothing in /etc seems to be that setting, but I was sure that was
> >>  something I had set in the past....
> >
> >See the man page for login.conf(5).
>
> Thanks, that's it. I didn't find it because... there is no
> /etc/login.conf on my system. I guess it's optional (although the man
> page doesn't say that).
>
> Next question: what does it look like? I remember that it's one of
> those obscure things like /etc/gettytab, but there is no example of
> what it should look like in the manual, nor is there one in
> /usr/share/examples.

Grab the FreeBSD login.conf and use it. There are a couple of things
in there that don't work in NetBSD (like, remove the part where
the setting of the MAIL environmental variable), but the extra
settings shouldn't hurt (with the one exception).  You can cross
reference against the NetBSD man page if you want to prune.

I think the settings that NetBSD doesn't have are sbsize, ignoretime,
and passwd_format.
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...