Subject: Re: Weird problems with c compiler, pkgsrc and /usr/src
To: Lim Seng Chor <limsc@sit.edu.my>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/28/2002 23:40:08
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:15:03PM +0800, Lim Seng Chor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My netbsd box is so weird!!
> I tried to compile and install the pkg at the pkgsrc and I always ended up with cc1
> compile fatal error...
> At first I thought my compile got problem so I tried to restore the files extracting from
> comp.tgz. but then the problem was still not solved. After that, I tried to pkg_add gcc-
> 2.95.2 pkg. This time I got some pkgsrc programs installed but there are some other
> programs I cannot install and terminated with compilation fatal error.
> How can I solve this problem? How do I turn off the compiler optimization for the
> pkgsrc installation?
>
> Another problem is I couldn't "make build" my /usr/src. I am running netbsd 1.5.2 and
> I downloaded the tar files from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-
> current/tar_files/src/*.  The error i encountered was "syntax error" blah blah blah.
>
> Help! Now I can totally cannot do anything with it... : (

What version of NetBSD are you running, and on which platform ?
Your cc1 errors let me believe you have a hardware problem, maybe bad RAM,
or a failing CPU fan.
As for the -current sources, these won't build out of the box on a
1.5.x system. Read the UPDATING file for infos. If your hardware is
supported by the new build system, use build.sh, it'll avoid most of
the pain upgrading from sources.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>