Subject: Re: Weird problems with c compiler, pkgsrc and /usr/src
To: Lim Seng Chor <limsc@sit.edu.my>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/28/2002 10:17:44
Hello,
     I read you message and I'm wondering why you downloaded
NetBSD-current.  It has been my understanding that the NetBSD-current
software isn't always stable, compile-able, or runnable but is the most
recent, most bleeding-edge version (not released) of NetBSD.

   If you are trying to run NetBSD as a general use operating system on a
supported platform I would suggest you use a released version of
NetBSD.  You can get more info about the latest NetBSD release from
http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/formal-1.5/

   By the way NetBSD runs on many different types of platforms including
SPARC, i386, ALPHA, and MIPS.  What type of hardware platform are you using?

At 10:15 PM 1/28/2002 +0800, Lim Seng Chor wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My netbsd box is so weird!!
>I tried to compile and install the pkg at the pkgsrc and I always ended up
>with cc1
>compile fatal error...
>At first I thought my compile got problem so I tried to restore the files
>extracting from
>comp.tgz. but then the problem was still not solved. After that, I tried
>to pkg_add gcc-
>2.95.2 pkg. This time I got some pkgsrc programs installed but there are
>some other
>programs I cannot install and terminated with compilation fatal error.
>How can I solve this problem? How do I turn off the compiler optimization
>for the
>pkgsrc installation?
>
>Another problem is I couldn't "make build" my /usr/src. I am running
>netbsd 1.5.2 and
>I downloaded the tar files from ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-
>current/tar_files/src/*.  The error i encountered was "syntax error" blah
>blah blah.
>
>Help! Now I can totally cannot do anything with it... : (

"Unix is user friendly, it's just | Steven Grunza
particular about with whom it     | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
makes friends."                   | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
  - Unknown                        | mailto:steven_grunza@ieee.org