Subject: Re: OT: orbz.org - help needed
To: None <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: ali \(Anders Lindgren\) <dat94ali@ludat.lth.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2002 16:57:45
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net wrote:

> sorry for offtopic but i'm just getting worried for people who invented
> such "Excellent" service like orbz and even more for admins who are using
> it (making "gift" for users even if they don't want to).

I am more worried over the fact that you are running a mailserver without
understanding why people go to such measures as to blacklist entire
domains to get rid of the problem of wide open spam relays.

Restricting relaying domains to .pl won't do you any good at all -- it
just limits the people who can use you as a spam-relay to those who are
bright enough to do it from a .pl host.

What you want is to restrict sending mail to authenticated users only.
If you have no control over where people connect from (as in specific IP
adresses, not just which ISP), you'll have to make them use some means
of authentication to allow them to connect to the mailserver. I would
suggest having a look at IMAP. I've never set it up myself so I'm afraid
I can't be of any help there.

While you're at it, you might want to enable use of the orbz and rbl
spam-blocking lists for incoming mail-- it will save you a bunch of
spam. ;-)

--
/ali
:wq