Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 and NFS - any suggestions?
To: Artem Belevich <art@riverstonenet.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2002 00:36:35
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 03:15:14PM -0800, Artem Belevich wrote:
> 	Server Info:
> 	[irrelevant server stats skipped]
> 	Server Ret-Failed
>             	    82132
> 	Server Faults
>             	    0
>
> Server Ret-Failed looks weird, though. Sometimes it stays constant
> during pauses, sometimes it jumps about 10K or so. What exactly
> "Ret-Failed" stands for anyway? Could that counter jump because nfsd
> was stuck along with other processes and therefore couldn't reply in
> time?

Wait.. is this on a NetBSD *client* that is temporarily stuck?
Is it also serving as an NFS server? Ret-Failed is the number
of RPC replies that signal an error condition.

If reducing the write size doesn't help, it's hard to tell what's
going on. Maybe you can send me a tcpdump output from when a
hang occurs, which shows before-during-after traffic. Also,
if you see some kind of a chance to run ps while it's hanging
(maybe start up top(1) before the hiccup occurs and watch the
window), I'd like to see the output of it. The STATE (for top)
or WCHAN (for ps) columns are important.

> #mount -o tcp server:/some/exported/path /mnt
> server:/some/exported/path: nfsd: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered

I thought NetApp toasters did to TCP.. hm. Oh yes, one final
thing: do other clients work?

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com