Subject: Re: X Server crashes
To: Todd Gruhns Acct <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2002 06:42:00
--- Todd Gruhns Acct <tgruhn2@mail.com> wrote:
> I have ran across an interesting prob:
> I will have to search A+ documentation for a
> command/concept.
> So I load the documentation into Mozilla and click
> on Find::Search in this Page.
> I then enter the search-string and click on Find. It
> stops at the first match,
> so I click on Find a second time and my X SERVER
> DUMPS CORE!
>
> It then leaves me with a message to the effect of:
> "Type:
>
>  gdb /usr/X11R6/bin/X /usr/guest/todd/core
>
>  Then send the resulting output to ***@xfree86.org
> so the
>  Xserver may be diagnosed..."
>
> But I get nothing back! How do I catch the core? And
> to whom shall I
> report it? I recall that NetBSD.org has its own copy
> of the xfree86
> sourcetree...
>
> --
> Indeed in nothing is the power of the Dark Lord more
> clearly shown than in the
> estrangement that divides all those who still oppose
> him. --Lord of the Rings

	I had some issues with Xman that caused X to dump
core.  It always left the core file, xman.core, in the
directory I launched X from, usually my home
directory.  At any rate, I don't think that the binary
X packages are built with debugging symbols, so you
would have to download the source and and compile X
with this option included.
	Make sure you specify a directory into which the X
dist should go if you do build from source, otherwise,
it uses root instead of the normal /usr/X11R6.

Ian P. Thomas