Subject: Re: Version Question
To: Tobias Anderberg <tobias.anderberg@axis.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/18/2002 10:55:07
Tobias Anderberg <tobias.anderberg@axis.com> writes:
> Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > > Speaking of which, what's the status of gcc 3.0.x on NetBSD? Last time
> > > I tried compiling it, it wasn't too successfull.
> >
> > That's not very surprising. You need support for NetBSD binary formats
> > for the compiler to work, and gcc doesn't have that support in the
> > shipped version. Hopefully that will be fixed in the not too distant
> > future -- Jason Thorpe is working on contributing the bits back to FSF.
>
> Hm. Earlier versions of gcc obviously works on NetBSD, which means
> that they have binary support for NetBSD, right?

No. They were hacked by the NetBSD project to support NetBSD and were
put into our tree. The only versions of gcc we ever supported were the
ones in the tree.

> Well, what happend?

Nothing. That's the problem. For all sorts of reasons our changes
never made it in to the gcc mainline before now.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com