Subject: Headless install
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/17/2002 22:04:37
I'm attempting to install NetBSD 1.5.2 on a headless Intel server.
If I do nothing as the CD boots, the serial console (which is
showing BIOS messages via BIOS redirection) goes dead immediately
after the kernel loads. If I try to type the command "consdev com0"
(which is what I would expect to be the right command to redirect
I/O to the first serial port), I see a "0" character on the terminal
and then nothing. (I can't tell if this is because the baud rate is
not being maintained as NetBSD takes over the port or because there's
some other problem.) No matter what I try, though, the ANSI
terminal emulator goes dead and I can't continue the install. What am
I missing?

--Brett Glass

Transcript of boot:

>> NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 2.7
>> (he@hamster.urc.uninett.no, Sat Aug 18 04:58:21 CEST 2001)
>> Memory: 634/1047552 k
Use hd1a:netbsd to boot sd0 when wd0 is also installed
Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
booting fd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
type "?" or "help" for help.
> ?
commands are:
boot [xdNx:][filename] [-ads]
     (ex. "sd0a:netbsd.old -s"
ls [path]
dev xd[N[x]]:
consdev {pc|com[0123]|com[0123]kbd|auto}
help|?
quit
> consdev com0
0