Subject: Re: standard operating procedure for doing backups as 'operator'
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/16/2002 05:50:58
On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:32:50PM -0800, David S. wrote:
> I'm not interested in any back-up regime that requires me to change tapes.

Good for you; however when you have a 2-4G tape drive and you wish to
back up > 2-4G of data, then what?  (Want to buy me a bigger drive?  I'd
glady accept donations.)

No baby-sitting involved.  Let the first tape run, go do something
else... swap tapes at your leisure, repeat once a week or two.  That's
all I need.  No baby-sitting there.  YMMV for your needs of course, and
I understand that.

> Interestingly enough, another mailing list I subscribe to has just had
> a discussion of IPSEC and NAT.  The consensus seems to be that AH doesn't
> work through NAT - understandably, since NAT fiddles with the packet
> headers - but ESP goes through fine.

Yeah, I'd been thinking about that myself, so if I can apply IPSec I
will, but I just can't do that with all the systems I want to back up.
I already know what I want to use, and the traditional utilities over
ssh are suited to this; I just wanted to make sure I was doing the best
I could with it.