Subject: Re: standard operating procedure for doing backups as 'operator'
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/16/2002 04:24:48
On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:40:56PM -0800, David S. wrote:
> If you're using 'ssh' because you want to encrypt the network backups,
> you could probably rig up some encrypted tunnels with 'stunnel', and
> you wouldn't have to give 'operator' a valid shell.  If you just
> want to do network backups without 'rsh', consider 'amanda'.  I use
> amanda and IPSEC.

Hey David. :)

Wrt amanda: I looked into amanda a week or so ago, it looks good except
for one thing: apparently it doesn't support spanning multiple tapes,
and my tape drive is only a 2/4 GB DAT. :\ Otherwise that would be an
option.  Wrt IPSec.. some of the backups I need to do are going through
NAT as well as to other operating systems in some cases.. IPSec+NAT is
no fun, at least in my experience. :) (Even when dealing with only one
OS.)  I guess I should have mentioned this in my OP. :P

Thanks for the suggestions.  stunnel might be an option indeed, although
in this particular case I think I do prefer the ssh method because it's
going to be part of any base system I install.. and I think I trust it
more also.