Subject: Re: Thread Performance in NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/10/2002 20:24:56
--- Marina Brown <marina@surferz.net> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
>    Forgive me if this question is redundant. I am considering
> using NetBSD for a webserver with Mysql and Apache. How
> well does NetBSD perform with threaded programs like mysql.
> I have heard of problems with threading in other BSD implementations.
> The last time i used Net BSD was about 2 years ago.

on i386, MySQL's derived mit-pthread had worked fine for a long time.
on the Alpha, between 1.4.2 and 1.5x, excluding 1.5.2, I had to compile
with GNU pth to get MySQL to not coredump. with 1.5.2, on Alpha, MySQL
3.23.4X has worked flawlessly, thus far. on some other apps, i found
PTL2 thread to be more stable (this chat app i had).

oddly enough, PostgreSQL has worked wonderfully on all the platforms i
tested. it forks instead of threads. i'm in the process of converting a
particular state web site with heavy traffic from MySQL to PostgreSQL.