Subject: Re: Suggestions for a backup solution
To: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2002 20:01:54
Hi !

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Jim Breton wrote:
> Anyone got thoughts on how one could reliably insert encryption (via
> gpg) or compression (gzip) into the equation, and still get it output in
> media-size chunks without having to play with temp files?  (Or even
> _with_ temp files, but that would be a heck of a lot uglier, I think.)

DESCRIPTION
     The split utility reads the given file (or standard input if no file is
     specified) and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each.

Just look at the manpage... it can work with options like -b 666000k
And it can read from stdin. But it can't write to stdout AFAIK. But this could
be done with some lines in C to fit your needs.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX