Subject: Re: Suggestions for a backup solution
To: Wojciech Puchar <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/2002 17:17:33
In message <>, Wojci
ech Puchar writes:
>> Which brings up another question:  what DVD writers are supported by
>> NetBSD?  Although the drives are expensive, the disk themselves -- even
>> the rewritable ones -- are cheap.  I know there's a debate about
>cheap? how much does they cost.

A recent news story
claims that (in the U.S.) DVD-Rs cost about $10, and rewritable ones
about $5 more.  I haven't tried hard to verify either number, but a
30-second search of one Web site found one brand of rewritable DVD at
US$19.  Not cheap, compared to CD-R, but I can certainly afford a few
for level 0 dumps.  And as you point out, most level 1 and higher dumps
won't take up more than one CD-R.

As for

> you always can record through pipe.
> i recorded >500 CD's through pipe on 6x speed CD-R on P-133 with 5400RPM
> IDE drive, often while listening to mp3's, browsing www, reading
> mail/news, sometimes compiling and NEVER had buffer underrun.

Yes, I can write a script that uses pipes, and I probably will (I
hadn't realized that piping dump | mkisofs | cdrecord would work).  But
I'd prefer a solution that let me use dump/restore's volume-switching

		--Steve Bellovin,
		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at