Subject: Re: Suggestions for a backup solution
To: NetBSD <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/2002 15:26:14
In message <>, Steven Grunza

>CDR's are great for this but the capacity of less than a GB vs today's
>double digit GB drives makes them less than perfect; however, you can go to
>just about any computer or office supply store and buy a drive that can
>read a CDR for almost pocket change these days...

Which brings up another question:  what DVD writers are supported by
NetBSD?  Although the drives are expensive, the disk themselves -- even
the rewritable ones -- are cheap.  I know there's a debate about
formats; it isn't at all clear to me if that matters for this sort of
application.  What does matter is how one can write to the drive.  With
cdrecord, I have to build a .iso image of the data I want to write.
But that's quite suboptimal for use with dump/restore.  Has anyone
tried that?

		--Steve Bellovin,
		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at