Subject: Re: Suggestions for a backup solution
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/2002 15:09:50
A key point: "What good is a backup you can't use?"

A friend went through the experience of a hd failure but had a complete
backup on a Syquest disk.  Unfortunately the Sysquest drive also failed but
not until it chewed up the backup disk.  As luck would have it he had a
second backup disk, not as recent but better than nothing, only he didn't
have anything that could read it.  There was a capacity vs age issue (his
drive and media weren't compatible with recent equipment) so it took him
awhile to find someone that could read the second backup disk and copy it
to a spare IDE drive.

The moral of the story:  Make sure the backup media is readable in generic,
off-the-shelf equipment.

CDR's are great for this but the capacity of less than a GB vs today's
double digit GB drives makes them less than perfect; however, you can go to
just about any computer or office supply store and buy a drive that can
read a CDR for almost pocket change these days...

Just my USD 0.02 worth...