Subject: Re: scsi hardware error
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/2002 18:34:20
Hi !

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Steve Bellovin wrote:
> sd0(ahc1:0:0):  Check condition on CDB: 0x28 00 00 44 e8 32 00 00 10 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x01

> I assume that "FRU CODE" tells me what field-replaceable unit is bad.
> But I don't know what '0x3' refers to.  My guess is that it's the
> controller, since the disk is both new and was installed in response to
> ST318461W; the controller is an Adaptec AIC-7890 on the motherboard.
> The machine is running NetBSD 1.5.2.)

Also new disks can fail. If you get this error with other disks also, it is
the controller, but the error message tells about failure of the disk.
Maybe this error results from a bad answer due to a broken controller, but this
is best checked by testing the other SCSI components. If your Seagate is the
only device failing... you know what to do.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX