Subject: Re: Setting up ipnat with NetBSD and OSX[solved]
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/29/2001 14:42:33
On Saturday 29 December 2001 02:20 pm, you wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 07:56:13PM -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >	I think this is a problem with name resolution.  I'm able to
> > successfully ping yahoo from the Mac if I use there IP address.
> > There is a spot in the TCP/IP part of the Network setup that asks
> > for DNS servers or optionally search domain.  Should I add
> > something there? I've tried adding my DNS servers that I use on the
> > NetBSD box, but that doesn't work.
>
> Can you ping the IPs of the name servers from your OSX box?
>
> If you can ping other (external) ips from your Mac, then routing
> is working, but you need functional DNS if you want to be able to
> use most of the WWW.
>
> >	I think the solution is close.  I'm going to look around on Apple's
> > site for some more documentation.  It's like OSX wants to be like
> > BSD, but it's just not there yet :))
>
> More like OSX was BSD, now, it's less so. =)  Apple started with
> FreeBSD and hacked it into what we now call Darwin, which is the
> underlaying kernel and low-level OS that OSX is.

	I added a cache only nameserver on the NetBSD system and voila!, the
Mac can now resolve hostnames.  I'm pointing all queries from the Mac
to my local IP on the NetBSD box.
	Now I must tighten the screws on ipfilter.  I'm aware of the many
security risks involved with running a nameserver.  I've printed out
the ipfilter howto and am going to reread it a few times.

Ian
Of Course it Runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org