Subject: Setting up ipnat with NetBSD and OSX
To: NetBSD <>
From: Ian P. Thomas <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/28/2001 16:51:13
	I've been trying to get my OSX box to connect to the internet using my
NetBSD box.  I've read through the documentation in the Basic NetBSD
Networking, but I'm still not able to connect to the web from OSX.

	Here are the three rules for ipnat.conf

	# IP Network Address Translation rules
	map ppp0 -> 0/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp
	map ppp0 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp 40000:60000
	map ppp0 -> 0/32

	I have my NetBSD box listed as the router with OSX.  Its IP is  The OSX box IP is  I can ping either box and ssh
into each box from the other.  On my OSX box, however, I get no route to
host whenever I try to ping, traceroute, or do anything beyond the NetBSD
box.  Any hints on what might be wrong?  I'm new to networking so if there
are any more links out there, let me know.

p.s. I'm using ipfilter on the NetBSD box, but all the rules specify ppp0
as the interface, and not fxp0.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at