Subject: Re: vnd (to carry on from Crypt FS)
To: <>
From: Jorgen Lundman <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/20/2001 14:40:11
Jorgen Lundman wrote:
> I finished the crypt-fs hack into vnd a while back, but have found it
> can sometime panic/freeze/die in most spectacular ways, on the i386 arch
> whereas the sparc one just ticks along (so far, may be coincidence - it
> is a lot slower).
> Sticking a collection of large files (20Megs) on it and executing:
> find . -name \*.cliff -exec rm -f {} \;
> for i in `find . -type f -print`
> do
> cp $i $i.cliff
> done
> is quaranteed to kill it, for me atleast.
> I've spent the last three days picking apart my code, and that of vnd,
> with a tootpick (just exaggerating) only to find it appears to be
> related to:
> and 12189
> in that if I turn off my code/encryption it still happens.
> I've tried mounting it with "-o sync" and it does take noticably more
> effort for it to die, but running my kill script enough times will get
> it.
> This is in a NetBSD-1.5 release kernel environment. Has any work been
> done to vnd since then, or is it still just as (possibly) broken?
> Thanks,

To reply to myself. 1.5.2 crashes just as badly and there is no change
in -current's vnd.c so I assume that too is broken.

I've ported my crypt changes into ccd, farily easily, and that runs like
a charm. I've run my script about 25 times.

If anyone else is seeking something like it, send me a message and I'll
forward you the source and diff.

Jorgen "Lord" Lundman <>
Technology Manager, Unix Administrator
Phone: +44 (0)20-86591860  Mobile: +44 (0)79-58642918
"Rare is the person who can weigh the faults of others
 without putting his thumb on the scales": Byron J. Langenfeld