Subject: vnd (to carry on from Crypt FS)
To: netbsd-users@netbsd.org <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/19/2001 13:12:37
I finished the crypt-fs hack into vnd a while back, but have found it
can sometime panic/freeze/die in most spectacular ways, on the i386 arch
whereas the sparc one just ticks along (so far, may be coincidence - it
is a lot slower).

Sticking a collection of large files (20Megs) on it and executing:

find . -name \*.cliff -exec rm -f {} \;
for i in `find . -type f -print`
do
cp $i $i.cliff
done

is quaranteed to kill it, for me atleast.

I've spent the last three days picking apart my code, and that of vnd,
with a tootpick (just exaggerating) only to find it appears to be
related to:

http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=10731
and 12189

in that if I turn off my code/encryption it still happens.

I've tried mounting it with "-o sync" and it does take noticably more
effort for it to die, but running my kill script enough times will get
it.

This is in a NetBSD-1.5 release kernel environment. Has any work been
done to vnd since then, or is it still just as (possibly) broken?

Thanks,

Lundy

--
Jorgen "Lord" Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>