Subject: Re: ksh need help!!!
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/19/2001 10:53:25
    Date:        Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:00:58 +0100 (CET)
    From:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>

  | yes it isn't default but it is in my own compiled version. it saves a lot
  | of RAM

If you really want to save ram, rather than drive space, then put the
dynamic versions in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, and leave /bin and /sbin
alone (just drop them from your PATH).   That way, just about everything
running is going to be using dynamic binaries (/sbin/init is probably the
one exception) - but the static stuff is still there for when you really
need it.

In practice though, apart from user shells, there's not likely to be anthing
in /bin or /usr/bin running for long enough to really matter - I mean, do
you really care about the extra ram used by the static /bin/mkdir for the
few milliseconds that it executes?   Even /bin/ls?   For the shells, most
users find something they like better in pkgsrc (which will be dynamic)
anyway (the static variant of tcsh, which is just weird, excepted).

kre