Subject: Re: ksh need help!!!
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/18/2001 17:59:25
Michael Kukat writes:

>According to the IRIX echo(1) manpage:
>
>          \c   print line without new-line
>          \0n  where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-
>               or 3-digit octal number representing that character.

Which is the System V version of echo which works differently from
the BSD version.  Incidentally, it works with the (pd)ksh builtin
echo (probably because ksh is mostly influenced from System V).
I'd still use the ksh print command which at least doesn't work
differently on different systems (and it understands octal sequences
aswell.)  The best idea is probably to write a small script that
outputs blocks of print-commands which he then can paste into the
other window (redirected with >> for the second and further prints,
of course.)  Since ld_elf.so is ~110K (on a sparc) that wouldn't be
too much.
Of course one might ask why "everything is dynamic" in the first
place.  It certainly isn't what NetBSD comes like, for reasons
of which one was very well demonstrated by this incident.

--mkb